Saturday, April 7, 2018

April 2018 Newsletter

A newsletter designed with OrlandoMQG members in mind!
View this email in your browser

Issue 29


April 1, 2018

Dear Guildies,

I regret to inform you that the board has decided to cancel the monthly Newsletter. This is due in part to lack of readership (as seen through recent member survey results and MailChimp stats). The newsletter takes hours to prepare and we are no longer seeing the benefit to the members.

This saddens me most because as a board we had only recently decided to pass the preparation of the Newsletter from Rene to the Secretary because it better aligns with that role. I hate for this to be my first and last Newsletter to share with you all.

Thanks for reading (or not!) and see you at the April Meeting, this Wednesday, April 4th.
Keep scrolling for our Member Highlight at the end featuring Yanick.





Happy April Fools Day


Hehehe! Did we fool you? We actually have a jam-packed Newsletter with plenty of quilty happenings to share and have no intention of actually canceling.

This was another busy and exciting month for the guild. Art31: Fiber with Art & History Center Maitland was a big hit with the staff and our volunteers. Participating in this event was a great opportunity for members to share their art with the public and let visitors know more about our guild.

Last month was Membership Renewal, so if you did not renew, please take the time to complete the form and bring your membership dues to Wednesday's meeting. We will again have a station setup in the back of the room for your photo to be taken so pack your smile. You can print and bring your completed membership form with you, along with $50 cash or check. As you know, Orlando MQG members also receive membership in the Modern Quilt Guild. MQG registration will open this summer for QuiltCon 2019 which will be held in Nashville. MQG members get the advantage of early registration.

We'd like to welcome our newest members to join last month: A.Morgan, Nancy D, Pia, Karen N., and Tonny. We are happy to have you!

Don’t forget to bring in your fabric donations at the April meeting for the fabric auction and then don’t forget to buy some at the fabric auction in May!


Please save the date for the Orlando MQG retreat November 9 - 12. Reservations will open soon!

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions regarding the newsletter, please email me. I would also love to hear of any quilty news or ideas for content you'd like to share. Constructive feedback is always welcome.

Happy stitching,

Ashley Pollard Gottshalk
Secretary
Meeting Reminders
  • Wednesday, April 4th is our guild meeting at The Sewing Studio 10-12. At this time, parking is NOT available at the gas station next door. Carpooling is suggested for those who have this option.
  • This month's meeting will have a very informative social media/guild communication presentation by Caroline JG. Don't miss it!
  • Bring your Block Lotto block(s). Each block made earns you one ticket in the raffle of ALL blocks. The more blocks you make, the better your chance of winning! Here is the current block's details
  • Bring your fabric to donate for the Fabric Auction that will be during the May meeting. We will have piles for sorting by size and color. Books are also greatly appreciated but wait to bring those, pre-priced to the May meeting. This is a great fundraiser for the guild!
  • Show and Tell is an important aspect of our monthly meetings. We love to see what our members are making, so bring in your latest finishes.  
  • All books checked out from the guild library need to be returned by Wednesday's meeting. If you checked out a book but will not attend the meeting, you need to make arrangements to give the book to someone who will. Check the link on our blog to see what books are in our inventory and to add books to the ongoing wish list.
  • Members receive a 15% discount at The Sewing Studio on guild meeting days and a 10% discount on non-meeting days.
  • Monday, April 9th is the Maitland Sew Day. The workshop with Jen Carlton-Bailey is Saturday, April 21st at the Dr. Phillips Library.
  • Block of the Month (current and past) instructions, meeting minutes, Calendar dates, and more can be found on the guild blog.
Art 31: Fiber - A month-long collaboration with The Maitland A&H Museums
 
When the center reached out to us a couple months ago, I couldn’t have imagined what a fabulous relationship would unfold. The first and primary mission:  Help the center with their month long Art31: Fiber celebration by staffing the historic Waterhouse residence, a middle-class Victorian home on the campus, to help connect the art and history (that’s what A&H stand for) of the late 1800s quilts in the home to the way quilts are made today. During four weekends in March our members offered their time and talents to this mission and engaged our community in Modern Quilting. They did a fantastic job too, as I heard constant positive feedback.
 
Second mission:  A pop up display of Orlando MQG quilts at their event finale on March 30 along with a Q&A panel. Leaning on the same volunteers who did demos at the Waterhouse, along with our recent QuiltCon showings, the art center helped us realize a vision to show these quiltmakers’ works as art and sculpture they are to our local fine arts community.

Special thanks to Dr. Yoon, Mr. Hess, and all the fantastic staff at the Maitland A&H Museums.  And a very very big thanks to our Waterhouse volunteers, artists, and panelists for their time during a very busy month and for supporting the exhibit Friday night.

- Sarah Lauzon, President
Programming
Paula Kennedy
 
Make sure you attend the April meet to find out what all the “buzzz" is about …

The Monthly Programing Committee has been hard at work and is ready to roll out the new year's activities. Our theme this year is Quilt Skills and if there is a skill you want to learn or improve on, chances are you‘ll have the opportunity in one of the exciting activities and programs that are planned.

Bring your pencil to sign up for all the fun events!
 
Don’t forget to bring in your fabric donations to the April meeting for the fabric auction and then don’t forget to buy some at the fabric auction in May!





 
 
July Meeting Date Change
Please update your calendars: the July meeting previously scheduled for July 4th has been changed to Friday, July 9th, same time and place. This change is due to The Sewing Studio's Annual Sale on July 4th.

Cre-active Club Challenge

#creactiveclub
Caroline

Only one month to finish your CreativeClub Project #6.  I hope you have enjoyed this year long challenge and you have had the opportunity to finish and fall in love again with one or more of your UFOs.

If you were inspired by this year challenge, you may want to join the #2018creactiveclub Challenge.  The rules stay the same as last year, you can check them here and some Q&A. Fill the form, take a picture and send it to Caroline. The first project will be picked during our May meeting.
 

Community Outreach
Marge Cree

This month we sent thread and 21 pillow top squares to the Junior Modern Quilt Guild of Broward County for their efforts to make quillows for those affected by the Parkland shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas Highschool.  Thank you everyone!
 


The Orlando MQG has donated the 2017 QuiltCon Quilt to the Access Charter School in Orlando.  The quilt will be used in their fundraiser in October, "Ride4Autism".  The Access Charter School serves over 130 students from Orange, Seminole, and Lake Counties, in 6th thru 12th grades and ages 12 and 22.  The school serves a very unique and diverse population of students with children varying on the autism spectrum scale. The program helps to focus the children not only on academics but also on life skills which will help them to lead a more independent lifestyle as they continue to grow.
 

Education

Patti Lapinsky
 
Save the Date for the Strips as Sourdough Quilt Starter Class with Elaine Popham aka @messygoat
June 30th at Bernina Sewing Center in Lake Mary. Checkout her blog and find her on Instagram to see her amazing work.
 
The workshop with Jen Carlton-Bailey is Saturday, April 21st at the Dr. Phillips Library.
OrlandoMQG Member Highlight
Yanick Booz
Please tell us how long you have been sewing and/or quilting and when you joined the Orlando MQG.
I have been sewing for 18 years and quilting for 16 years. I joined Orlando MQG in January 2013 and it was the best birthday present I gave myself! I needed to find “my people” that loved quilting/collecting fabric as much as I did. I was honored to serve as president from 2014-2016 and have adored the friends made here ever since.


How did you learn to quilt?
I learned to quilt with the help of my mother-in-love, Mrs. Grover. She gave me “My First Quilting Book (Or It Should Be)” by Carol Doak to help me with a baby shower gift. I was instantly hooked and went to the library to check out every book with pictures they had on quilting techniques. That same year, there was a PBS special on the quilters of Gees Bend and I saw people who looked like me making these beautiful quilts without patterns or books. Afterwards, I felt empowered to design my own quilts instead of following someone else’s pattern.  


What machine do you drive?
I have 3 machines in my sewing room:
My first Kenmore that I lend to people who want to learn how to sew. (It’s ancient and all metal so it’s perfect to learn the basics.)
A Brother SE400 is used for “fancy stitches” and traveling.
My True Love is a Juki TL2010Q that I cannot live without now.
 

Do you sew with your shoes on or off?
I mostly sew with my shoes off and socks on so I can feel the pressure I apply to the pedal.
 

What and/or who inspires you?
I am inspired by colors and lines. I love playing with rainbows of color and tend to buy either solids or very bright prints. I really like shot cottons, Cherrywood fabrics, and linen. I enjoy looking at lines in nature and building structures. I often take pictures or screenshots when I see an interesting angle or grouping of lines which I later use to design my own quilts. I really enjoy making geometric quilts with straight-line quilting. (You’ll never find meandering or feathers in my personal quilts.)


What is your favorite thing you’ve made to date?
Picking a favorite quilt is probably the hardest question to answer so I am going to share a few:

This is the first quilt I made after my first class with the guild in 2013. Learning the stitch and flip technique from Jacquie Gering was so much fun.




“I Love My Hair” was created because I wanted to play with the traditional cameo silhouette that never looked like me. I am always on the hunt for afros and collect novelty fabrics that have images of diverse people. This mini was also my first real attempt at improv quilting and applique.



“Intersection” is a paper-pieced quilt that I designed myself. It is made with over 20 different shot cottons to give the illusion of intersecting lines.
 
What is your motto?
“Plan your work and work your plan.”
As a Capricorn, I thrive on order and neatness. I like having structure to my day and structure in my quilt designs.
QUILTY HAPPENINGS
Locally, Globally, and on the Web
 

ALL STAR QUILT-ALONG BLOCK 1  - check out this free quilt-along

How pretty is this blooming Spring Quilt!

Practice your new skills with these Sashiko Placemats on Purlsoho

You may have seen this pattern around a lot lately. I know I have saved it on Instagram a couple times and have been itching to make it. Quick, simple, and uses a modern principle: transparency! How great if it was scaled to use jellyrolls or other precuts!

If you haven't seen it already, check out Anne Sullivan's Fresh Quilting Episode!

Year of Scrappy Triangles is a fun new project!

 


Thank you for being a part of The Orlando Modern Quilt Guild.  We appreciate you taking the time to read our newsletter and hope you find it as interesting as we do!

President:  Sarah Lauzon
Vice President:  Paula Kennedy
Secretary:  Mary Smart
Treasurer:  Marge Cree
Community Outreach: Mary Whittaker
Education Coordinator:  Anne Sullivan
Member-at-Large:  Jane Allingham
Founding Officers and Board Members:
Rene' Martinez, Michele Lancaster
Do you know someone who might like this newsletter?  Forward it to them.  They can subscribe here.  
You can find the Orlando Modern Quilt Guild on these social media platforms.
Copyright © 2018 Orlando Modern Quilt Guild, All rights reserved.


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

0 comments:

Post a Comment